VakifBank continued their winning streak at the tournament on Saturday, when they claimed a 3-1 (25-20, 25-23, 23-25, 25-22) semifinal victory over city rivals Eczacibasi VitrA Istanbul.
In their semifinal, Rexona-SESC stopped the winning streak of another European powerhouse, Switzerland’s Volero Zurich, mastering a 3-1 (25-13, 25-16, 21-25, 26-24) win to secure their spot in Sunday’s big final.
VakifBank and Rexona-SESC have met three times at the Club World Championship level with the Turkish side emerging victorious on all three occasions. The first two encounters took place at the 2013 edition in Zurich. VakifBank claimed a 3-1 win during the pool stage and a 3-0 victory in the final. The third time was earlier this week, on May 10, when the squad from Istanbul achieved a 3-1 (25-17, 25-15, 20-25, 25-15) success in a Pool A fixture against the team from Rio.
VakifBank Istanbul (TUR)
- VakifBank continue the tradition to medal every time they play at the Club World Championships. In their three previous appearances they claimed gold in 2013, silver in 2011 and bronze in 2016.
- Historically, VakifBank have played a total of 17 games at the Club World Championships and boast an impressive 14-3 win-loss record.
Rexona-SESC Rio de Janeiro (BRA)
- This is the second time Rexona-SESC are making the final of a Club World Championship. The first time was in 2013, when they settled for silver, their only medal so far, after losing to the same opponent – VakifBank.
- Rexona-SESC have taken part in a total of three editions of the Club World Championship, also finishing fourth in 2015 and they fifth in 2016.
- For Rexona-SESC, this will be the 18th match at the Club World Championships as well. Their current win-loss record stands at 10-7.