Kobe, Japan, May 3, 2017 - The reigning title-holders of the FIVB Volleyball Women's Club World Championship, Turkey’s Eczacibasi VitrA Istanbul, will start the defence of their crown with an exciting clash against fellow Europeans from Swiss standout Volero Zurich. This will be the second match in Kobe on May 9, the opening competition day of the 2017 edition. The tournament in Japan will run through May 14.Quick links - Volleyball:
FIVB Volleyball Women's Club World Championship 2017
Swiss champions Volero Zurich are one of the wild cards at this year’s Club World Championship. They consistently finished among the best four teams at all of the previous four editions of the competition. They ended up fifth in the 2017 CEV Volleyball Champions League - Women, just falling short of making the Final Four of Europe’s most prestigious club competition after being eliminated by the champions-to-be from VakifBank, another team from Istanbul.
Eczacibasi VitrA, also playing in Kobe with a wild card, triumphed with the Club World Championship gold medals in the last two editions of the competition. Unlike Volero, Eczacibasi made the Final Four of the 2017 Champions League and finished with the bronze, after losing in the semifinals to city rival VakifBank as well.
This will be the second time Volero and Eczacibasi meet at the Club World Championship level. The first time was exactly two years earlier, on May 9, 2015, at the semifinals of the 2015 edition in Zurich. Then the Turkish side emerged victorious with a 3-1 (25-17, 25-22, 18-25, 34-32) win to follow up with the gold.
Volero Zurich (SUI)
- Volero have won one medal from their four previous participations in the Club World Championships - a 2015 bronze.
- Volero have played a total of 17 matches in the history of the Club World Championships and have a 9-8 win-loss record. Three of these matches (one win and two defeats) have been against Turkish teams.
- Volero have hosted the tournament three times. The Women’s Club World Championship was held in Zurich in 2013, in 2014 and in 2015.
- Volero have been national champions and cup winners of Switzerland consistently since 2010 and they are the only Swiss club to have ever participated in the Women’s Club World Championships.
Eczacibasi VitrA Istanbul (TUR)
- Eczacibasi VitrA have taken part in only two editions of the Club World Championship and on both occasions, in 2015 and in 2016, they celebrated with the title.
- Eczacibasi have played a total of 9 matches in the Club World Championships and boast an 8-1 win-loss record. Curiously, their only defeat (2-3) was to the tournament’s current host Hisamitsu Springs Kobe and took place in the home city of their current rival Volero.
- Eczacibasi are one of three Turkish clubs (all from Istanbul) to have taken part in the Women's Club World Championships. All three have won gold medals, but Eczacibasi are the only one that have done it twice.
- Eczcibasi have e record number of 17 national titles in Turkey, but they have not won their domestic championship since 2012. In the meantime, they became two-time club champions of the world and once (in 2015) club champions of Europe.